- In 2020, our efforts to use more resource-saving materials such as recycled poly and organic cotton canvas reduced carbon emissions by roughly 55,000 pounds. In addition, we’ve diverted 2,120,549 plastic bottles from landfills to date.
- Starting in 2021 and for any future order we will be using strictly 100% certified organic cotton for our canvas Catalina collection. Cotton is completely biodegradable and by transitioning into fully organic, it will encourage species biodiversity in local ecosystems. Some additional benefits are that it uses less water, no pesticides, and no fertilizers. In turn, it is safe for you and the environment.
- We launched our first nylon product, The Beacon backpack, that’s primarily composed of recycled nylon that is made from post-consumer waste. This will reduce the consumption of natural resources by 27% and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 28% compared to regular nylon, all while minimizing waste that would otherwise end up in a landfill. Our next goal is to transition our nylon laptop collections to be made of 100% recycled yarns.
- This year, we have started working with Gold Rated tanneries audited by the Leather Working Group. This will allow our supply chain to be more traceable. The hides used are guaranteed to be sourced and tanned in the most sustainable way, including lowering water consumption and energy reduction. So far for 2021 we have saved approximately 55,474 gallons of water and 2,035,250 light hours using this tannery. Our aim is to eventually move 100% of our nappa leather to a Gold Rated status.
- We are researching the use of materials made from plant-based fibers, which contain no animal products and are biodegradable. Our hope is to make a new material available in select styles within the next year.
- In 2021, we started using a new signature hummingbird lining that is composed of 50% recycled material and will continue to use this material for all future orders.
- We have also made progress in updating our lining for our Catalina collection. Our organic cotton Catalinas trays are now made with recycled poly and are recycled poly collection Catalinas feature recycled poly lining and trays. We are now one step closer to having our best-selling Catalina Deluxe bags being fully made with sustainable materials.
- In the manufacturing and shipping of any consumer good, there’s a lot of unnecessary waste from bubble wrap, protective coverings, and even hang tags. So in 2019, we started a full-scale packaging audit to reevaluate what is truly essential in our production process, limiting waste and moving towards recycled and/or biodegradable materials.
- Since then we’ve already taken this year and eliminated the use of plastic air bags when packaging our Catalina collection, removed foam padding in our wallets and the majority of our hardware no longer has protective plastic coverings.
- Our poly bags are now 100% recyclable
- Our goal is to eventually switch to using biodegradable protective poly bags as each and every one of our products are shipped in this protective packaging, which adds up to a quicker decomposition in landfills.
- We’ve started to use new packaging for sending our products to customers. We’ve created custom sized boxes and mailers going out to customers so that the carbon footprint per package is reduced and is also more cost efficient. These new packaging products are made from 100% recycled materials and are 100% recyclable.
Manufacturing / Factories
- In 2019, we started working with and moved a significant portion of our total production orders to a new factory that can run on 2,628,000 kw of solar energy per year. They also built a Water-Reclamation-System, which can over 100 tons of waste water to clean water per day with a conversion rate from waste water to clean water of 100%.
- The Gold-Rated tannery that we have started to work with in 2021 features on-site accommodation for workers, rainwater collection systems, engineered wetlands, and a dedicated wastewater treatment facility. Their new eco-friendly manufacturing technologies create 60% less chemical waste than the standard.
- We are actively looking to partner with a small, domestic workshop for a capsule collection that's made in the USA. The factory runs on solar power and pays workers double of minimum wage plus healthcare.
- In 2019, we started to make extra straps, inserts, trays, shoulder pads for customers who receive any manufacturing issues or experience everyday wear and tear, increasing the lifespan of our product and affirming our satisfaction guarantee.
- Two years ago we set a goal to become a part of a new circular economy. So we're proud to say that we are continuing to make progress and connect with more partners in this space. We officially launched our partnership with The Renewal Workshop in 2020 and continue to work with them to repair and renew our damaged bags which they then resell on their site. To date, we've diverted over 2,500 lbs of product from landfills.
- The Renewal Workshop - We’ve partnered with The Renewal Workshop, the leading provider of circular solutions for apparel and textile brands. Based in Cascade Locks, Oregon, the Renewal Workshop operates a zero waste circular system, recovering the full value of items already created. We are excited to have found an organization that can repair and renew damaged bags and rethink the possibilities for our products’ lifecycle. To date, we have been able to save over 5,000 pounds from landfills. You can shop our collection of renewed products here.
- Kept SKU - starting in 2021, we will be partnering with a new service called Kept SKU that works with brands to create curated surprise shopping boxes that are composed of a mix of unsold inventory that would otherwise be sent to the landfill or sit on warehouse storage shelves for years. The service also helps and provides transparent recycling paths for the inventory they can’t sell.
- One Tree Planted - We have selected to partner with One Tree Planted, an environmental charity focused on global reforestation, for Earth Day 2021. One Tree Planted makes it easy for individuals and businesses to contribute to a healthier climate, protect biodiversity and help reforestation efforts around the world - all by planting trees! We have pledged to donate 10 trees everytime a 30% OFF discount code is applied at checkout on our collection of eco-friendly products.
- CBEY - Our cofounder (and one of the sons), Jan Lo, was invited to serve on the advisory board of the Yale Center for Business and the Environment, which trains and empowers future leaders to develop "business solutions to systemic environmental problems" from the Yale School of Management and the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. With this group, Jan is currently helping to advise on a range of projects, such as how emerging technology can help to address environmental sustainability challenges.
- In 2019, we set a goal to become a part of a new circular economy. So we're proud to say that we are continuing to make progress and connect with more partners in this space. We officially launched our partnership with The Renewal Workshop in 2020 and continue to work with them to repair and renew our damaged bags which they then resell on their site. To date, we've diverted over 2,500 lbs of product from landfills.
Online Store Design
- We’ve updated our e-commerce shopping experience to easily spot and visually identify any products that are made with sustainable materials.
- Introduced eco-impact measurements for each sustainable product. And we’re in the process of researching new ways to display those eco-impact measurements as real-time totals based on how much we’ve sold or produced.
- Updated our sustainability page with even more information on our updated company mission with refreshed priorities, new materials, and on-going sustainability initiatives.
Learn more about our sustainability business practices here.